A Good Horse

A Good Horse

Thursday, June 12, 2008

What Happened Today at Horse Lessons

Today I got to work with a new horse named Shadow. Shadow is black and big and shiny.

I learned how to lead a horse. You hold a bow-like hold and with your right hand you hold the rope and point your pointer fingers the way you want to go and look straight with your chin up a little. Then you click and say "walk on". It works. The horse walks. You say "wow" and the horse stops.

I got to ride the horse but it was a bareback ride. When you ride bareback you have to hold on to the end of the mane. When you ride you have to sit back and when you want to go you kiss and click your tongue and with your legs you give it a hug. It works. It walks. You have to sit on pockets sitting back straight up. You go "wow" when you want to stop. To get off the horse, you hold on to the mane in the same place and swing your left leg over the horses back.

I groomed Shadow just like I did with Mighty. Shadow is really big so I couldn't brush on top of Shadow's back.

1 comment:

Josh n' Katie said...

I love to ride horses too Leah! When I was your age I would go to my grandparents house where they had 3 horses. I never tried bareback...but it sounds like you had a lot of fun doing it!